Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The sun came out to play

What a rare treat in Oregon at this time of year! The sun came out to play and to warm us up into the 60's. It is almost too good to be true. And since we have started the accursed Daylight Savings Time, we might get to enjoy part of the day after work.

Speaking of after work, our gym finally opened which means I have to buy some shoes I can wear on the equipment in the gym. Of course, I plan on spending most of my time in the pool or in the spa. The pool will let me exercise and stretch with less pain impact. Then, the spa helps heat the muscles through to promote relaxation. Paul and I were good and planned a trip to the gym yesterday for some pool time only to find that the pool and spa are not open yet. I had been looking forward to it all day. I am not looking forward to it today so maybe they will be open.

It occurs to me that I have worn only Birkenstocks for the last 8 years. I have boots to wear in inclement weather but I usually don't even wear those unless some sort of snow is involved. So, how does someone who has only worn Birkenstocks for 8 years go about finding tennis shoes to wear to the gym. I don't even know where to start. Nothing is going to feel as good as my Birkenstocks and Birkenstock doesn't make tennis shoes. Oh no, now I know I also need work out clothes for those times I venture to the equipment in the gym. This gym thing is going to get costly.

My lifestyle coach, provided to me through a pilot program at Intel, will be glad to hear that the gym is open. I can't wait to tell her. She calls me every three weeks to discuss the goals we have set for the last three weeks. Exercising is one of the goals I have on my list. It really is exciting to have someone to work with me through the first 5 months of this lifestyle change. Now, if I can only get a handle on my food issues, all will be well. Yes, I have food issues. That's what therapy is supposed to be helping.

As for the depression, it is still there because the pain is still here. But I am finding ways to lift myself out of the depths again. CS Lewis is really good for that. I get so excited reading his books.

2 Comments:

At 8:59 PM , Blogger aniroo said...

You definitly need to get out of the Birks for a while,and get some cute workout clothes too. It will help you get into character. Then you can "act" like a person who has been going to the gym and working out all her life. And in all honesty, good shoes can make the work out less painful. You might even find that the Birks aren't the best choice for shoes, except for style of course.

 
At 10:35 PM , Blogger jiffypete said...

Dad told me you had a blog so he I am checking it out. It is kinda fun once you get used to it. Going to the gym has been one new years things I've kept so far. I even see Uncle John and Jean at the gym. I tell myself even if I just going for a 1/2 hour and ride the bike atleat I'm going. Good luck with the shoes

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home