Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Shoes, shoes, shoes

So, eight years of wearing strictly Birkenstocks unless an event required otherwise, I have to buy shoes. I also have to buy a cute gym outfit so I look like I am an old timer at being at the gym.

So, how do you buy shoes when you have no idea what size shoes you wear? The last time I tried on a pair of shoes, my feet protested immediately. I don't even know where to begin with the shoes. I do not have nice slender feet. I have huge feet. My feet are bigger than Paul's. I am not allowed to wear his socks because I stretch them out.

And I want cute shoes, purple preferably. What brand is best? Do I need running shoes for the gym? I can guarantee there will be no running done by me. That activity is still out due to the knees. So, will walking shoes work or do I need tennis shoes? And do my gym clothes need to match my shoes and socks. Can you tell I am stressing about stupid things now?

I started wearing Birkenstocks at my doctor's request. Since I started wearing them, I no longer have problems with heel pain. I am afraid of wearing different shoes and bringing that pain back on. I hate being in pain when I walk. I have done enough of that this lifetime.

So, I need advice on brand, color and type of shoes. Fire away!

3 Comments:

At 5:00 PM , Blogger aniroo said...

I've got plantar fascitis so I have to be careful what shoes I wear. For "gym" shoes I get New Balance. The run much wider than Nike or Reebox or most of the others. They have lots of pretty colors. For everyday I wear a Merrell "moccasin." You have to slip into them though, no ties or buckles.
I just got some from http://shoes.com . You can try them on at home and send them back if they don't fit. Or you could just browse around at the different styles and then find the store nearest you that carries them.

 
At 8:11 AM , Blogger Louise said...

Thanks, Annie. That was just the kind of advice I was looking for. You are the best!

 
At 9:33 PM , Blogger jiffypete said...

I find that asking the pros help. After all you are in nike country and there is bound to be a shoe store some where? Let the "pro" know your level and type of activity. Lady Foot Locker could be a good start. This way you can find the size and type you might be interest. Then if you go on line to find a better deal you'll be good to go.

Good luck

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home